As Cases Surge, NAHB Calls for Another COVID-19 Safety Stand Down

Filed in Disaster Response, Safety by on December 31, 2020 5 Comments

NAHB encourages members and all other residential construction companies to halt work for at least 10 minutes the week of Jan. 11-15, 2021, for a COVID-19 Jobsite Safety Stand Down to remind workers what they should do to keep themselves safe from coronavirus and to help reduce its spread.

A crew listens as safety materials are reviewed

A home building crew stands down for COVID safety training in April 2020.

After the success of the first COVID-19 stand down in April, NAHB and its construction industry partners are facilitating a second round of pandemic-specific safety training in the wake of the national post-holiday surge in infections.

As part of the safety stand down, members are being asked to reiterate coronavirus safety precautions, such as wearing face coverings, maintaining a distance of six feet between workers at all times, cleaning and sanitizing frequently used tools, equipment, and frequently touched surfaces on a regular basis, ensuring the proper sanitation of common surfaces and equipment, and providing safe, clean, and accessible restrooms and adequate hand-washing stations.

Who Should Participate?

Construction of single-family and multifamily housing has been deemed an “essential infrastructure business” allowing construction to continue. Small and large construction companies, residential construction contractors and subcontractors should all participate in the stand down.

Three Steps to Hold Your Own Stand Down

  1. Prepare. Compile the information you will need for the stand down. NAHB has developed detailed blueprints — in English and Spanish — for builders and trade contractors to conduct their COVID-19 safety stand downs.
  2. Cover the basics. As COVID-19 cases surge, stress the importance of preventing the virus spread by encouraging workers to following basic infection prevention measures.
  3. Hold your stand down. Present the information to the workers, keeping it short and simple. The safety information can be distributed digitally (through email and/or text).

NAHB and other construction industry partners have also developed a comprehensive Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Plan for Construction that outlines the steps every employer and employee should take to reduce the risk of exposure to and transmission of COVID-19. It describes how to prevent worker exposure to coronavirus, protective measures to be taken on the job site, personal protective equipment and work practice controls to be used, cleaning and disinfecting procedures and what to do if a worker becomes sick.

NAHB has also launched a new initiative focused on member mental health and wellbeing. The resources available so far focus on mental health during the pandemic, and can be especially helpful for builders and workers struggling with the challenges faced in 2020.

For any questions about the COVID safety stand down or job site safety, please contact Rob Matuga or Christian Culligan.

builders mutual

 

Comments (5)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. This really should have been done far more often than just twice. My understanding is the construction trades are being hit especially hard by C-19, mainly because it’s extremely difficult to maintain C-19 safety protocols while doing this kind of work.

  2. Erik Listou says:

    No one in the photo is wearing a mask. We should be setting proper examples. Our lives are at risk. How often are these training recommended, I hope more often than every nine months?

    • NAHB Now says:

      Erik, we have updated the image to show masked workers. While this is just the second national safety stand down NAHB has called for in eight months, we have updated our COVID safety training materials three times to reflect changes in CDC guidance, and we have alerted members to those updates each time. COVID, and other infectious disease, safety training should be ongoing and, more importantly, home builders should be enforcing guidance and rules on their sites. The stand downs are a way to bring national attention to the issue.

  3. NAHB should not have held the show this year. I attend as much as possible but our company will not be attending this year. This has all the signs of a super spreader event. Not a good example for our industry.

    • NAHB Now says:

      Leonard, NAHB agrees, which is why IBS 2021 has transitioned to the IBSx virtual experience. There will be no in-person show this year. The virtual experience will be taking place Feb. 9-12. Learn more about the exciting virtual opportunities at https://www.buildersshow.com/.

Leave a Reply to Leonard Waring Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *