Need a License to Build?

Filed in Codes and Standards, Education by on March 25, 2015 2 Comments

As home building industry professionals know, each state has different requirements for builders and remodelers that want to do business.

That can be confusing for businesses that cross state boundaries or want to consider new marketing opportunities. NAHB’s Residential Contractor State Licensing directory has helpful links to make this information easier to find.

Applicants may need to prove on-the-job experience and financial ability and in some cases they must fulfill education requirements before bidding and working on a project.

Four states (Alaska, Michigan, Oregon and Virginia) require pre-license education or training, and seven  (Alaska, Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, and Utah) require continuing education for license renewal.

And some states have few requirements at all.

Visit the directory and click on the state you want to learn about. Please note that the information is subject to change, and contact your state license board or the National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies for additional information.

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Marsha Binder says:

    Wisconsin also requires precertification education and education for renewal of certification.

  2. Informative blog 🙂 Totally agree with your content that As home building industry experts know, every state has diverse prerequisites for developers and remodelers that need to work together.

Leave a Reply to Marsha Binder Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *