Majority of NAHB Builders Focused on Single-Family Construction

Filed in Membership by on May 1, 2018 0 Comments

More than six out of 10 NAHB builder members are single-family builders, according to the 2017 annual member census conducted by NAHB.

At 62%, single-family construction was by far the largest primary business activity for our builder members, followed by residential remodeling (21%), commercial building (6%), multifamily building (5%), land development (5%), commercial remodeling (1%) and manufacturing of modular/panelized log homes (less than 1%).

Overall, 32% of NAHB’s members are builders who are directly involved in home building while the remaining 68% are Associate members who work in support industries and professions such as trade contractors, manufacturers, retailers/distributors, designers and architects.

The census also revealed the median dollar volume of business among builder members was $2.7 million in 2017 — about 13% higher than in 2016 ($2.4 million), and the highest since the first NAHB member census was published in 2008.

A recent Eye on Housing blog post offers a further breakdown of member profiles, including age, education, staff size and project quantity. View the full report on



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *