NAHB to Weigh in on DOL’s Information Request on Overtime

The Department of Labor has issued a request for information on the Obama administration’s overtime rule, and NAHB will submit comments independently and as part of the Partnership to Protect Workplace Opportunity coalition.

To recap, the Obama administration last year issued a proposed rule that was set to take effect Dec. 1, 2016 that would double the salary threshold to receive overtime pay from $23,660 to $47,476.

Working with Congress and members of our business coalition, NAHB led the effort to mitigate the effects of the rule. Moreover, NAHB joined other business groups in filing a lawsuit to challenge the overtime rule. As a result of these efforts, the rule was never implemented because a judge issued a preliminary injunction against it.

The Trump administration has defended its legal authority to implement a new overtime requirement but has not endorsed the Obama-era rule. Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta testified at his Senate confirmation hearing that he would prefer a more modest salary threshold than previously proposed, one that is potentially tied to the rate of inflation.

The Department of Labor is providing the public with the opportunity to offer input as the agency mulls its next steps. NAHB will provide detailed comments by the September 2017 deadline.

Tags: ,

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Harry Crowell says:

    this was another rule put in place by a government run amuck!
    Where in our Constitution or Bill of Rights does it give government the right to hurt employees and employers by adding rules that impact our rights to work at the hours we want.

  2. Frank Morse says:

    Another important step in the right direction in maintaining a reasonable cost of construction for our members! Thank you NAHB for staying the course in this fight for a fair and equitable solution!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement