Trump Vows to Cut Burdensome Regulations in Address to Home Builders

Filed in Codes and Regulations, Economics, Leadership by on August 11, 2016 24 Comments
trum speaks

More than 950 NAHB members and guests listened to the Republican presidential candidate.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump today vowed to cut regulations that are hurting the housing and economic recovery. Speaking before more than 950 NAHB members and guests attending the NAHB Board of Directors Midyear Meeting in Miami, Trump said that over-regulation is costing the economy $2 trillion per year.

“No one other than the energy industry is regulated more than the home building industry,” said Trump. “Twenty-five percent of the cost of a home is due to regulation. I think we should get that down to about 2%.”

Laying out his plan to create more jobs, lower taxes and reduce burdensome regulations, Trump said: “We will impose a temporary moratorium order on new agency regulations. We’ll cancel all illegal and overreaching executive orders signed by President Obama. We will eliminate all regulations that kill jobs. We will remove the bureaucrats that only know how to kill jobs and replace them with experts who know how to create jobs without regulations.”

As part of his program to spur job and economic growth, Trump promised a major tax simplification plan to reduce the tax code to three brackets and ensure that all small businesses will be taxed at no more than 15%.

“Everyone’s taxes will go down under my plan,” said Trump.

Additionally, Trump said he will end corporate inversions and repeal the estate tax, commonly referred to as the death tax.

“I know so many families that have been destroyed by the death tax,” he said. “They end up losing their business or have to sell their business. Farmers are hit hard, housing companies are hit hard.”

sign

NAHB Remodelers Chair Tim Shigley of Wichita, Kansas, had a message for both parties.

Noting that his father was a home builder, Trump expressed a deep affinity for the industry. “A home builder taught me everything I know,” he said. “There is no greater thing you can do. If you can build a home, you can build anything.”

More than 11,000 people viewed Trump’s address to the NAHB board via a live video feed.

Trump’s speech to the NAHB board comes one day after Gene Sperling, a top economic advisor to Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, addressed the same group.

“We are very honored to have these national leaders address our members,” said NAHB Chairman Ed Brady. “Their presence at our board meeting conveys the important role that the nation’s housing industry will play in the upcoming elections and reaffirms that housing must remain a national priority.”

NAHB does not endorse presidential candidates.

Tags: , ,

1. Ann M Ellison says:

I can’t think of anything I’d be less likely to leave to any business than the right to regulate itself.
    I know this isn’t what Trump said…but, it amounts to that. He is pandering to anybody that might hand him a vote by throwing the health and safety of the public to the winds.

I have seen what happens when regulations aren’t met.

• Anthony Mazzucca says:

I agree with you. As a licensed builder, I appreciate codes that keep bad builders out and help us improve our products

• Al Zichella says:

Anyone who thinks we are under-regulated needs A PSYCHIATRIC EXAMINATION. Besides, there is a big difference between what you are saying and what he said. He is not advocating for no regulation, just a moratorium, which is perfectly appropriate.

Besides, everything he said is on point, or the Supreme Court of the United States would not be ruling against the EPA, and the Army Corps, as they recently did in the Sackett and Koontz cases.

Right now the agencies we entrusted to preserve clean air and water to have become so powerful, and their transgressions against average Americans and property owners so egregious that the Supreme Court rulings are unanimous, as it was in Sackett.

Further, the incessant tinkering with the building codes, making it more and more costly to build homes is a drag on home ownership, and spawns a code that is interpreted differently in almost every jurisdiction. What was intended to bring clarity to the process is now frequently responsible for only confusion, ideological agendas, and obfuscation by local regulators. When you say you have seen what happens when regulations aren’t met. I presume you mean that non-compliant construction gets halted.

Your position frankly is non-sensical. You want more regulation, go into the energy business or medicine. The rest of us will do just fine with what we have or even less.

• Grant says:

Right, just how the government regulates itself, that is really working well.

Regulations have little to do with health and safety, its about creating more government jobs at the expense of the private sector.

I”ll give an example. The city of Austin is now requiring all thermostats to be placed at 48″ to accommodate ADA. This makes it nearly impossible to use for the average person without bending over or even getting on a knee. Catering to 1% of the population while hampering the other 99%.

Before this stupid regulation existed the builder would have simply accommodated those who needed the thermostat height adjusted.

• Diana says:

I’m 5′ 3″ or 63 inches tall. All the electrical switches in my home are approximately 48″ from the ground. I don’t have to bend to reach them and could not reach them if I were on my knees. Moreover, it doesn’t cost more or less to place thermostats at that height. Your argument does not hold water.

2. Michael D. Newsome says:

Ann, I was present for Trump’s speech because I wanted to hear and judge his remarks and worthiness for elected leadership for myself – unedited and without coloration by reporting. He said he advocates for a MORATORIUM on new regulations, not a rollback nor an absence. Neither he, NAHB nor their members have expressed a desire for an absence of regulations, which are essential for establishing and insuring the health and safety of our nations housing stock. The regulatory process of vetting proposed regulations thru a thoughtful system of oversight with input by professionals in the engineering, environmental and construction sciences, with a full nod to cost-impact and effectiveness has historically led to safe and AFFORDABLE housing. Our regulatory agencies are increasingly becoming self-perpetuating bureaucracies, unsupervised by our elected leadership. That is unacceptable in any society that takes seriously the charge of housing its citizens.

• Tracie Englen says:

Thank you Michael……..very well said. People only hear what they want to hear. The current administration has had 8 years to do the right thing for the building and mortgage industry and look what they have done………Time for a real overhaul.

• Judy Smith says:

Thank you Michael, very well said indeed. No one wants the neccessary regulations removed, just the ridiculous new ones stopped.

• Scott Sedam says:

He said he would cut the “25% of the cost of homes due to regulations” down to 2%. Uh-huh. That would be one helluva a lot of regulations cutting, meaning cutting more than 95% of what is out there now. Just more pandering BS. So sick of it. Would someone just ask “Exactly what would you cut. Name them.” They would not have an answer.

3. Marty Knezovich says:

Whenever I hear a politician make the comment about too much government regulation, I wish they would state even one regulation that they would end if they could, and why the reasons for enacting that regulation in the first place were or are invalid.

4. Lisa Moon says:

I would love to know how Mr. Trump gets his figures, and how he plans to reduce regulation cost to 2%. I’d hate to think of the condition of the homes managed with so little regulation… Third world countries come to mind.

5. David Gasson says:

Marty makes a valid point which is why specifics are so important. Is Mr. Trump speaking of green regulations and requirements? ADA requirements or perhaps environmental. All should be reviewed but to say that you are going to eliminate regulation and roll back to 2% of cost is unrealistic. Also, what about affordability. He builds hotels and high priced condos and while his father did build affordable housing in New York City, Mr. Trump has no experience in that field. His tax plan would make it next to impossible to maintain production and investment in the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program, which itself is a regulated program. Details and specifics from Mr. Trump’s campaign would be helpful.

6. Walter says:

I agree there has to be regulation but what I believe he is referring to is the way the gov runs with regulation without much thought to impact on costs. USPS comes to mind as an example of how the gov runs things! In our area of the country they police the existing regulations so poorly that all the sub-standard contractors and builders get away with whatever they want anyway!I’m all for eliminating the majority of burdensome regulations that do nothing to promote business or better the quality of our trade!

7. Tracie Englen says:

If we want more of the same then vote for more of the same. As I have stated before, in the seventies my husband had a business deal (real estate) with Trump and it went great. He keeps his word even when things get tough. He shows up and answers questions with out them being previewed before hand and he also has a much better background for our industry then what is in Washington now and has be for the past 8 years. Trump knows the best people for the job and he will appoint the best.

8. Jeff says:

I find it troubling that the NAHB seems to readily back any Republican candidate, especially on my local level. I don’t know if this article is an endorsement, but some equal time for opposing candidates would be a breath of fresh air.

• NAHB Now says:

NAHB does not endorse presidential candidates. NAHB invited both campaigns to speak at our Midyear meeting so they could provide each candidate’s views on home building and the economy. Gene Sperling, top economic advisor to Hillary Clinton, spoke to our members on Wednesday morning, and Donald Trump spoke on Thursday.

9. Leigh Ann Mauel says:

Where I live the regulations to me are a bunch of red tape that prevent the builders from moving forward with projects! They are not ( in my opinion in place to protect anyone!)
    I am sick of what the last 8 years have brought to this country (NOTHING) and ready for a change.

• Gary says:

Then perhaps you are voting for changes in Congress, who have refused to work with the Executive branch, only obstruct.

• Grant says:

I think you have it backwards. The far left executive branch refuses to compromise with the moderate congress. Obstruction is a good thing when incompetent politicians are running our country into the ground. Leigh Ann is correct that the amount of red tape and regulations are mostly in place to create government jobs, not protect people. If you think this radical administration would do anything positive for the building industry you are delusional.

• Al Zichella says:

Great response Grant. Absolutely agree with you.

• Marty Knezovich says:

So, by what measures is our country being “run into the ground” ?? Looks to me like it’s been a great time to be a home builder, 1211 thousand starts in 7/16, compared to 478 thousand starts in 04/09. Unemployment is at it’s lowest since 2007, the stock market is at all time highs, violent crime rate is at an all time low. Substantiate any claims with some verifiable national statistics. Thanx.

10. Martin Van Berlo says:

How do you cut back on a building code that is already considered a minimum standard? Perhaps some of those contractors building to a minimum standard need to upgrade their quality.

11. Harry Crowell says:

Have been building homes for over 60 years over 30,000 of them
    I used to sell a -1,300 sq.ft. House for $18,000 with a $3,000 profit.
    They had brick fireplace, built in cooking, dishwasher 2baths shake roof 2car garage. They are still standing and reselling for $500,000.
    With codes, fergulations they cost a lot more today and not musc different except for all the extra costs created by government